Sustainability is central to the Msheireb ethos, both in the conservation of resources and the inherent quality of design that will benefit the generations to come. In line with the goal of achieving average LEED Gold Ratings, the entire project features sustainable design that consumes fewer resources, generates less waste, costs less to operate, and has diminished carbon footprint. Msheireb aims to:
- Create an urban framework that observes traditional architectural values within a modern design.
- Use microclimatic effects to enhance thermal comfort.
- Optimize water and energy efficiency while reducing emissions and consumption.
- Promote sustainable waste management.
- Source local products and materials with high sustainable performance.
- Deliver new high quality public areas.
- Facilitate community interaction and social exchange.
- Create a thriving local economy and develop key economic sectors while nurturing entrepreneurship.
- Reduce car use and congestion within the site, while improving connectivity across the wider city area.